powered by LeadingAge New York
  1. Home
  2. » Providers
  3. » Assisted Living and Adult Care Facilities
  4. » Assisted Living Program (ALP)
  5. » More Details Emerge Regarding ALP Funding Opportunity

More Details Emerge Regarding ALP Funding Opportunity

LeadingAge NY is pleased to share that during a meeting with the Department of Health (DOH) on Jan. 19th, DOH indicated that assisted living programs (ALPs) will soon be eligible for some funding made available through the federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA). We have been reporting on this opportunity as we fought for the State to dedicate ARPA funds to the ALP. We provided the State with recommendations on how these funds could be directed in the most meaningful way, consistent with the parameters of the federal funding, based on member input. We are pleased to see that those recommendations and flexibilities appear to be retained in the plan.

To aid members in beginning to think about this opportunity, we wanted to share some additional details that we anticipate will be in the final approved plan, but bear in mind that the State is still awaiting Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) approval of the State Plan Amendment.

It is anticipated that eligible ALPs will receive a lump sum payment. According to the likely distribution formula, 90 percent of the funds will be distributed proportionately to all eligible ALPs based on individuals served, with the remaining 10 percent distributed proportionately as an additional amount to eligible ALPs serving fewer than 30 individuals. Ultimately, the awards will likely range between $17,000 and $640,000.

To be eligible, the ALP must:

  • be open as of June 1, 2023 and actively providing service;
  • be open throughout the timeframe when funding can be spent;
  • have a valid operating certificate and appropriate staff per ALP regulations; and
  • have Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Federal Rule policies and procedures and confirm compliance with the Rule.

The funding can be used to support:

  • Workforce retention strategies
  • Development, implementation, and promotion of training programs for staff
  • Recruitment and retention of a racially and ethnically diverse and culturally competent workforce

Funding cannot be used to pay for current wage levels for employees or for administrative salaries or expenses, nor can it supplant planned services/expenses. It also cannot be used for capital expenses.

Providers will have to submit spending plans, complete an attestation, and conduct reporting to DOH regarding spending.

LeadingAge NY anticipates that ALPs will soon be invited to a webinar to explain the opportunity and parameters in more detail, but we wanted to provide these insights to help you begin to consider how you might want to spend the funds.

Contact: Diane Darbyshire, ddarbyshire@leadingageny.org, 518-867-8828