2024 Nursing Home Budget Request
LeadingAge NY is urging NYS to reform and rationalize the nursing home Medicaid reimbursement methodology in the State Fiscal Year (SFY) 2024-25 budget, to ensure that Medicaid payments keep pace with rising costs and ensure access to quality care for those who need it.
- On average, NYS's nursing home Medicaid rates cover only 75 percent of the cost of care.
- There is an $810 million (State-share) Medicaid funding gap for the nursing home care provided in NYS.
- NYS's nursing home Medicaid reimbursement is among the worst in the country, according to an independent federal MACPAC report.
- Inadequate Medicaid reimbursement significantly hinders provider ability to compete for, hire, and retain staff.
- Lack of staff directly impacts access to skilled nursing services for those who need them.
- NYS must reform and rationalize nursing home reimbursement with a downpayment of $510 million (State-share) in SFY 2024-25 and a commitment to fully fund, reform, and rebase rates by 2025.